Jewelry Box

This was by far the longest project yet!  I began working on this project a few months ago and I never really had the perfect pieces to put it all together.  Now that it’s 100% complete, I’m glad I took my time!  I’ve wanted a jewelry box to store costume jewelry for some time, however, I didn’t want the typical department store fancy wooden jewelry box.  I just happen to find a plain wooden box on sale at Micheal’s (who would’ve guessed… I found something on sale at Micheal’s?!) and that’s where this adventure began!
To start, I painted the exterior of the box.  I stumbled across stationary that coordinates with my bedding.  Using a little ribbon and Mod Podge, I secured the decorative paper. My jewelry box sat like this for a few months.

Until… I found a mirror to place on the inside lid!  Using scrapbook paper, I created a background for the mirror and added a little ribbon for a delicate touch!  Once again, my jewelry box sat for a few more months.

For the longest time, I wasn’t sure how to put the finishing touches on the inside of my jewelry box.  I contemplated using fabric verses paper to cover the bottom.  I also wasn’t sure if I wanted to cover the sides or just the bottom with fabric.  I finally decided to cover just the bottom with fabric and paint the sides.  I used a mixture of Elmer’s glue and water to secure the fabric to the bottom of the jewelry box. Once it was dry, my jewelry box was FINALLY complete (after about 6 months)!

As I stated earlier, I am very pleased with the way this project turned out.  My ideas changed over time, for example, intentionally I didn’t plan on putting a mirror on the inside of the jewelry box.  It wasn’t until a mirror popped out of an eye shadow compact that I got the idea!  The same went for the fabric on the bottom of the box.  I was in search of fabric for a while and it wasn’t until I ruined a tee shirt when I finally locked into the idea.  I used the old tee shirt to cover the bottom of the jewelry box.  When I purchased the box it was on sale for 49 cents.  I also purchased the stationary used on the top of the lid.  All of the other supplies were from other projects or recycled.
Don’t forget to follow the Pink Paisleys Facebook page!